Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Crazy Season

I've been having a bit of a problem lately with crazies.

Regardless of the situation, it's mostly about guys who perceive me as blowing them off, arguing with them, or not paying enough attention to their personal problems. To these guys, the whole world is a singles bar and the girl just turned her head away.

The usual hint is that they call me "heartless." Which sounds like that guy thing of claiming women have "torn their hearts out."

I don't have to be nice to everybody. If somebody gets asshole with me, I get asshole with them. It sometimes takes some work, but sooner or later I put a filter on my email program for their email.

I have the world's nicest, smartest readers. No, I'm not kidding. They're politically aware, and work very hard to make the world a better place. The nut-cases usually don't buy anything anyway -- they just want mommy's attention.

Why they think a writer will put up with them is beyond me. We're the ones with the thesaurus -- and all the swear-words.

I've tried to tell people that the best writers aren't necessarily the nicest people. Swearing, drinking, throwing shirts out the window, cheating, lying, staying at their friends' houses and stealing their dogs and their drugs -- artists and writers have done it all.

But I don't think anybody hires us for our personalities.

1 comment:

Dave Baxter said...

Hmmm...piss you off or have you ignore us completely...hmmm...this shouldn't be such a hard decision but it IS!!!

Weird how "being nice, congratulatory, helpful, etc. and having writer LIKE me" doesn't even enter into it. ;) --Dave B.